Finally. My first REAL attempt at some sweet Do-It-Yourself action. I recently posted here about Layla's inspiring guest bedroom. I'm planning to arrange frames in a similar way in my living room on the wall above our television and DVD bookcases. The centerpiece will be this mirror, which I found at a thrift store for $8. It was icky gold, but definitely had potential. Here she is in all of her glossy black glory.
But I'm getting ahead of myself. Here it is before:
Yeah. Definitely just needed a coat of paint. First, I taped off the mirror and covered it with newspaper. Then, I scrubbed the dust bunnies from the nooks and crannies with a dry scrub brush.
Then, I proceeded to "go to town" with gloss black spray paint - purchased at, you guessed it, Handren's Hardware! I used Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch, in Gloss Black.
Of course, I made a classic rookie mistake. Oops. Notice how Scott was ever so kind enough to capture this epic moment in my DIY journey. Thanks, babe.
Here are some detail shots. The gold that you see is the underside of the frame, reflected in the mirror. Another rookie error, I suppose, but if it's very noticeable on the wall, I'll remove the mirror and paint the whole frame. We'll see. For now, as The Nester says, "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful."
Woopsie. Kitty distraction. What's that, Lily? You LOVE DIY?!? Yes. She loves it so much that a nap is quick to follow. Or maybe the fumes from painting outside wafted through the screen door?
Anywho, I didn't just paint this mirror. Oh no. If I'm going to lay down plastic on my patio and get paint all over myself, I'm going to do it all at once. Really get down and dirty. I also needed to paint this old frame that Scott's had for about ten years, which he likely purchased at Wal-Mart for about $5. I'm guessing. You know, from the icky, fake oak wood-ness. Classy.
Here's the after shot for this fine specimen. For this, I used Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch, in Flat Black.
Aaaand notice that some of the newspaper lifted up during my painting, which I didn't see until after all was said and done. I may just remove the glass.
While I was painting, I had a brilliant idea to paint one of my vases. This baby was sitting in storage (due to its sickly green color) just waiting for a makeover.
My inspiration for this came from the spray paint can itself, interestingly enough.
Here's the after for this one, which I love! It looks a thousand times better in this flat black shade. Even Scott was feeling it. =)
This weekend I went to JoAnn Fabrics while I was in Portsmouth, New Hampshire visiting my grandmother. My mother and I took her out for lunch and shopping - and they were both surprised that I wanted to go there. They were reluctant to join me, as well, but I believe that I've converted them! I found some small wooden frames on clearance. Here's the back of one of them, so you can see the original color.
Here's the front, after I was finished with it.
Add one cute kid, and you have an instant hit.
In this case, it's Scott's four year old half-brother, Jon. He's only three in this photo, but it's the most recent one we have.
And that wraps it up! I've acquired some paper bags from Stop & Shop so that I can trace my frame sizes and shapes. I want to lay out everything on the wall in paper before we start nailing holes. =)
I also acquired some AMAZING old family photos from my visit to see my Memere. She's kindly let me borrow them, and I'll be scanning them so that I can get them into some frames and onto my walls. I have some of her and Grandpa's wedding in 1948, some of my great, great grandmother.... etc. Incredible. And some of them are just so NEAT... I can't wait to have them up where people can see them and enjoy them every day. Thanks for stopping by!