Tuesday, October 30, 2007

You can't write meeting minutes in iambic pentameter...

Well - you can, but no one notices and it takes a bit longer.

It’s hard enough making the transition from “I’m writing my thesis on...toI’m in the real world now and no one cares what I think unless it involves their paycheck or medical coverage” without knowing that I probably won’t ever get to have an intellectual conversation about Macbeth between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.

I used to be a literature major in college. That was almost two years ago. Now I take care of payroll and benefits for a whole lot of people who don’t care that I have a degree unless it was in Accounting or Business Administration.

“English Literature, huh?” – (Man in a suit who looks like Falstaff but will never know)

“Yes, sir.” – (Me)

“Whatcha planning on doing with that?” – (Falstaff)

Oooooh sweet Jeeeesus here we go again. I dunno – I thought I might get a job someday with a company that values superb communication skills. Too much to ask, huh? I guessed as much.

So what does one do with an English literature degree in the modern corporate office? J

No comments:

Post a Comment

All the world's a stage! But for now, just type your soliloquy here.